Vulcan Materials Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Safety and Health Intern
at Vulcan Materials Company
OVERVIEWOF VULCAN MATERIALS COMPANY
Vulcan Materials Company is the nation'slargest producer of construction aggregates and a major producer ofaggregates-based construction materials including asphalt and ready-mixedconcrete. We run our business with great discipline and integrity.
At Vulcan, our people share a competitive drivefor excellence, in an environment of trust, teamwork, positive reinforcement,open-mindedness and communication.
Ours is a culture of mutual respect, integrityand committed spirit. Opportunity, community and unity is our way of doingbusiness. We call it The Vulcan Way.
SummaryDescription of Position
Undergeneral supervision provides support for the Health & Safety function asdirected. Employeewill be exposed to the business and be provided with experiences that will helphim/her learn the business and the industry from a hands on perspective. A successful intern will be flexible, have thedesire to learn multiple facets of the business, and be willing to work indifferent functional areas.
Education,Experience, Skills Required
- Must be enrolled in good standing with your college andpursuing a degree in a related field to the internship.
- Junior or Senior level is preferred.
- Previouswork experience would be a plus but is not required.
- Excellent computer skills and experience utilizingMicrosoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and Google Mail.
- Good oral and written communication skills as well asexcellent interpersonal skills.
- Shoulddemonstrate tenacity and the ability to work on teams, take instruction, thedesire for learning all areas of the work involved.
- Self-starter; Ability to work well without direct supervision.
- Able to relate to all levels of people
Functions will varybased on the specific internship.
- Positionmay require driving between locations.
- Mayinvolve exposure to dust, dirt and noise.
- Work environment may be an office setting and may require sitting/standing for extended periods of time.
- Sometravel may be required.
- If in an operations setting must have the ability to lift 50 pounds and to stand, sit and walk for long periods of time.
- Requiresuse of computerized equipment and technology.
- This position requires knowledge and awareness of site hazards. Must be able to wear required personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite,Google, Oracle Business Environment and other software packages relevant to theposition.
StrongWork Ethic:Uses time efficiently; finds the answers and makes sure the situation is takencare of correctly.
Commitmentto Learning:Applies intellect to the fullest, welcoming activities that require one tostretch.
Respectful:Treatsother employees or customers with courtesy, dignity and respect.
Versatility: Is open tochange. Adjusts positively to changingwork priorities and business conditions.
CommunicationSkills: Communicates clearly and listens carefully inan open, candid and consistent manner.
TeamPlayer: Establishes trust with team members, statingclear expectations and accountabilities. Recognizes group morale and acts to protect or build as necessary.
InterpersonalInteraction:Quickly establishes rapport with internal and external customers to developtrust that their concerns are heard and responded to promptly.
Vulcan Materials Company offers a competitivecompensation program and benefits package including: medical/dental/vision,paid holidays and vacations, life insurance, 401(k) with match and flexiblespending accounts.
Vulcan is anEqual Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants willreceive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, nationalorigin, age, disability or genetics, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by lawfrom discrimination.