The City of Madison
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Complex Maintenance Worker II
at The City of Madison
- General Position Summary
Position ensures all custodial duties for cleaning and maintaining city offices and buildings are completed. Performs custodial duties, and develops and maintains schedule of work to be completed. Serves as lead to other custodial workers in training, monitoring work, maintaining the schedule, and coordinating special projects and requests.
- Examples of Responsibilities
- Maintains schedule of custodial work.
- Leads, assists and trains other custodial workers in completing the maintenance schedules and special projects.
- Ensures offices and public areas are adequately cleaned each week to standards expected of public buildings and offices (disposing of trash, replacing light fixture tubes/bulbs, cleaning all surfaces of furniture and fixtures, etc., vacuuming and shampooing carpeted floors, cleaning, sweeping, mopping and waxing of floors).
- Manually performs various facility maintenance projects, such as hanging pictures, installing signage, light plumbing and fixture work and painting, and other similar tasks.
- May supervisor non-employee workers performing community service, and enforce compliance with safe working methods.
- Assists Building and Grounds Supervisor with ensuring city hall external areas are safe for employees and public during adverse weather conditions (i.e., ice, snow, etc.) in a timely manner.
- Occasionally washes windows and blinds.
- Cleans and sanitizes rest rooms and break rooms.
- Set-up facilities for various meetings, including covering tables, moving furniture, cleaning and performing final inspection for presentation.
- Replaces rest room tissue and towels as needed.
- Transports and safely stores supplies and materials.
- Orders cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Assists the Building and Grounds Supervisor with coordinating maintenance and repair of building to include coordinating with vendors and sub-contractors to complete repairs
- Maintains all storage rooms in a neat and orderly condition.
- Work around dirt, dust, germs, chemicals, cleaning supplies, and unsanitary conditions at times.
- Minimal Qualifications
- Reading skills to understand written instructions and cleaning product labels.
- Drivers license that allows you to drive independently, with a good driving record required for delivery of cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Strong experience working in janitorial/custodian field performing similar tasks to job responsibilities.
- Strong work history of dependability and performance.
- Strong background record required, due to accessibility to employee and city property.
- Supplemental Information
- Knowledge of material and methods used in cleaning processes.
- Ability to communicate information and needs to other workers, employees and supervisor.
- Skills to operate equipment such as shampooer, buffer, vacuum, etc.
- Ability to work independently without close supervision.
- Strong leadership, training and team skills.
- Knowledge of common safety practices to include use of personal safety equipment when working around cleaning equipment and chemicals.
- Ability to work at a fast pace to complete a high volume of work.
- Ability to stay on task and demonstrated initiative in making facilities as clean and professional looking as possible at all times while on the job.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds .
- Ability to see well enough to drive vehicle, clean offices and read product and equipment information (corrective lens acceptable).
- Ability to move various equipment, files, furniture.
- Ability to bend, climb, stand for long periods of time in order to clean all surfaces.
- Ability to work around specific chemicals required for cleaning.
- Ability to climb ladders and crawl, and exercise full range of physical motion for various repair projects.
- Ability to hear well enough to communicate in person and by telephone.
- Ability to speak well enough to give clear instructions to coworkers.
- Ability to perform some repetitive motion for vacuum cleaners and other equipment.