Huntsville Memorial Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Speech Pathologist - Speech Therapy
at Huntsville Memorial Hospital
S - S (8:00 - 5:00_
- Master's Degree
- AHA - BLS
- SLP - Speech Language Pathologist
- 1 year of experience required
Plans, directs,coordinates and performs high quality speech and language pathology services topatients of Huntsville Memorial Hospital.
- Master'sdegree in Speech and Language Pathology from a University.
- One (1) year clinical Speech and Language Pathology experience preferred.
- One (1) year home health experiencepreferred.
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech & Language Pathology issued by the American Speech Language Hearing Association.
- Valid license issued by the State of Texas Department of Health, Board of Examiners in Speech & Language Pathology.
- Current American HeartAssociation certification for Basic Life Support (CPR) required.
D. Communication Skills:
- Able to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to travel in order to deliver services in patient's residence.
- Professional appearance and conduct.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assesses patients' needsand strengths, diagnoses speech, language, swallowing disorders, establishesgoals, plans services, and determines type, frequency and duration of treatmentin conjunction and consultation with physician.
- Develops, implements,evaluates and revises plans of care.
- Educatespatients/families in basic home safety and medical equipment safety asapplicable to services provided.
- Communicates findings andchanges in condition to physicians.
- Schedules visits topatients and confirms same with Home Care office or Center for Rehabilitation.
- Participates indischarge planning.
- Prepares summaries andreports.
- Documents all care,submitting required paperwork on a daily basis.
- Uses, maintains andcleans necessary equipment.
- Performs and interpretsspecialized tests, if appropriate.
- Adheres to thespecifications of the ASHA Code of Ethics and HMH hospital policies andprocedures in the performance of duties.
- Participates in qualityimprovement monitoring and evaluation activities, assimilating qualityimprovement findings and recommendations into practice.
- Attends case conferences,staff meetings, in-services and other home care agency gatherings as required.
- Serves on specializedcommittees and participates in the development/revision of policies andprocedures.
- Provides consultationwith other Speech Therapists and professionals of other disciplines regardingspeech and language pathology (SLP).
- Prepares reports ondiscipline services for Administration.
- All individualsresponsible for the assessment, treatment, or care of patients are competent inthe following, as appropriate to the ages of the patients served:
- Ability to obtaininformation and interpret information in terms of the patient's needs;
- Knowledge of growth anddevelopment; and
- Understanding of therange of treatment needed by these patients.
- Abidesby the HMH Legal Compliance Code of Conduct.
- Maintainsa safe work environment and reports safety concerns appropriately.
- This job descriptiondoes not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by thisemployee. He or she will be required tofollow any other instructions and to perform any other duties requested by hisor her supervisor.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKINGCONDITIONS
Work is light,involving sitting, standing, and walking. Demands include reaching for and handling supplies and material. Touching patient's lips, mouth, jaw andthroat hands, upper chest, abdomen, and intra oral cavity with therapeutictools or gloved finger. Talking to convey information and give instructions,acute hearing for determining speech problems and progress of patient. Visual acuity for reading data and observingpatient's mouth and lips.
- Repetitive movements: writing
- Equipment needed to perform job: see below
- Protective equipment which must be worn: gloves, mask, gown, eye protection,protective apron in x-ray.
- Possible hazards: moving parts, electricity, heights, radiant energy, explosives,chemicals, etc.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT,AND WORK AIDS:
- Laryngeal mirrors
- Oral stimulation tools
- Tape recorder
- Tongue blades
- Office supplies/equipment
- Therapeutic cards, toys, games puzzles etc.