Huntsville Memorial Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Charge Nurse - Emergency Room
at Huntsville Memorial Hospital
- Associate's Degree
- AHA - ACLS
- AHA - BLS
- RN - Licensed in Texas or Compact
- 3 to 5 years experience required
Provides professional nursing skills utilizing the nursingprocess in the delivery of patient care. Assesses, plans, implements andevaluates the care for assigned patients. Serves as a patient advocate withinthe health care system. Responsible for performing patient care requiringspecialized training and skill. Acquires and maintains knowledge and skill requiredto perform patient care in a specialty service/area. Accountable for assuringthe safety, comfort, care, and treatment of patients according to legal,ethical, professional and institutional standards. Participates in thehospital's Quality Improvement and Service Excellence programs. Demonstratesunderstanding of the philosophy and objectives, and adheres to policies andprocedures of the department and organization. Acts as unit shift supervisor toensure safe effective patient care and adherence to all Joint Commissionstandards.
- Minimum 2 years of Emergency Department experience required; 3-5 years preferred.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Partners-in-Caring process by integrating both Behaviors and Operating Principles in all internal and external customer interactions.
- Performs duties with accountability, competency, innovation, collaboration, compassion and respect to create the best possible outcomes with exceptional customer experiences.
- Able to read, write and speak English.
- A graduate of a school of professional nursing.
- Current State of Texas license to practice professional nursing.
- Current BLS certification required at time of hire.
- Current ACLS certification required within 6 months of hire.
- PALS or PEARS certification required within six months of hire.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Delivers appropriate care to patients, at a competent level, according to the RN skills inventory and the age and needs of the patient/population served.
- Coordinates the planning for delivery of nursing care with a multidisciplinary team and administers appropriate clinical decisions in the delivery of patient care.
- Collaborates and directs healthcare team in attainment of positive outcomes based on data, research, evidence and professional standards of care. Meets treatment goals; develops/implements discharge and/or transfer plans; evaluates the quality of patient care and contributes to the revision of standards of care.
- Ensures safe care to patients adhering to policies/procedures/standards of care, within budgetary specifications, including time/supply management and accuracy of practice.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education, skills competency; supports department-based goals which contributed to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Participates in a systemic, interdisciplinary, and ongoing evaluation of programs, process improvement, and desired client-centered outcomes.
- Abides by the HMH Legal Compliance Code of Conduct and maintains strict confidentiality of patient information at all times.
- Adheres to Hospital Policy on the assessment, ordering, application, consent, and monitoring of the patient when restraints are employed.
- Maintains a safe work environment and reports safety concerns appropriately.
- Completes daily assignment sheets.
- Update patient assignment white boar as soon as assignments are made
- Round on patients and introduce yourself.
- Monitoring patient care activities by the staff and ensuring completion – (i.e. baths, turning) – Charge nurses are responsible to ensure that all staff members are following policy and procedure, help with the flow of the unit – admissions and discharges, encourage the staff members to work as a team, reporting all concerns or disciplinary problems to Manager or Director.
- Troubleshooting problems that may arise on the unit.
- Informing Unit Management of potential problems on the unit.
- Assist nurses with discharges, admits, and patient care as needed – getting staff to work together.
- Give shift report to oncoming charge nurse. Ensuring that nurses are doing change of shift rounds at the bedside.
- Perform patient care and infection control audits as assigned.