Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SR SYSTEMS PROGRAMMER
at BBVA Compass
- Job ID
- Site Name
- AL-BIRMINGHAM-BIRMINGHAM SERVICE CENTER
- Work Location
- FLSA Status
- FULL TIME
At BBVA, we’re working to make banking better for everyone. That’s where you come in. We’re looking for smart, team-oriented people who want to be part of a first-class workforce that gives people the tools they need to meet their financial goals, all while delivering an outstanding client experience.
Digital transformation is at the heart of BBVA. It’s how we will achieve our purpose to bring the age of opportunity to everyone. Our purpose reflects the bank’s role as a facilitator, offering customers the best banking solutions, helping them make the best financial decisions and making a real difference to their lives. We live in the age of opportunities where technology offers universal access to education and offers many more people than ever before the possibility of embarking on projects and pursuing their dreams.
Are you a visionary? Are you revolutionary? Our Engineering teams are charged with reinventing the banking industry. We are revolutionizing how banking is done today and how it will be done in the future. Our team is made up of risk taking, intellectually curious, entrepreneurs who want to create the future of banking.
Learn more below.
What you will be doing.
This position is responsible for leading a team of application PL/SQL developers responsible for defining, developing, testing, analyzing, and maintaining database / software applications in support of the achievement of business requirements. The candidate will work with a broad customer base to identify and address a variety of business needs. The candidate will also lead the group in researching, application design, documentation, and any modifications to application data marts and/or reports specifications throughout the production life cycle. Additional responsibilities include project involvement of application upgrades while ensuring that company standards and policies are adhered to as well as the ability to identify and recognize risks.
- Provide leadership for the development of a robust infrastructure that will supply the information necessary to satisfy the data analysis and reporting requirements of users throughout the organization.
- Work cross functionally with various client groups to address business needs.
- Oversee the design, construction and integration of existing relational databases and data warehouse infrastructures.
- Supervise production support activities related to database and warehouse architecture. Respond to end user inquiries related to data marts and warehouse problems and issues.
- Work with business stakeholders to develop business requirements for necessary reporting efforts.
- Define and develop logical and physical data models to support departmental reporting needs.
- Participate in and contribute to technical requirements, operational support documentation, and collaborative design discussions to convert business requirements into technical solution.
- Collaborate with clients, programmers, and designers for the development of database / software programs and applications.
- Administer and ensure adherence to project management methodologies, resource management practices and change management procedures.
- Lead in the defining, development, and documentation of software’s business requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications.
- Design, run and monitor software performance tests on new and existing applications for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Manage the creation of and maintenance of documentation, user manuals and guidelines individual data marts.
- Oversee the execution of daily and monthly processes.
- Provide and oversee after-hours support.
What you will bring.
Requirements for Position:
- BS in Computer Science or Management Information Systems (or equivalent work experience, typically four years) and six or more years of solid, diverse work experience in IT design and delivery
- Proficiency in designing, developing and tuning complex SQL queries and PL/SQL scripts.
- Familiarity with designing, developing and tuning ETL workflows.
- Vast knowledge of working in relational databases like Oracle, SQL Server, etc.
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to teach and mentor less experienced professionals on basic coding methods/building blocks and best practices.
- Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively and clearly with both technical and non-technical personnel.
- Experience with data modeling concepts, including Star and Snowflake schemas and ROLAP.
- Experience with data file conversions, UNIX or Linux scripting, data modeling tools.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously with strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with the ability work effectively with peers and business partners
- Detailed oriented, excellent ability to multi-task: addressing critical daily issues as well as keeping focus on strategic tasks
- Process oriented with the ability to efficiently identify root cause to establish repeatable/sustainable processes
- Flexible with the ability to adapt to changing organizations, changing business needs, etc.
- Able to integrate company goals and objectives into department goals and activities
- Knowledge of the financial services industry preferred but not required