Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Controls Engineer III
Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal’s commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
REPORTS TO: Chief Department Engineer & Department Project Engineer
SUPERVISES: Engineer II, Engineer I, Designers and Draftspersons
DUTIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for design calculations and drawing development as assigned by the Chief Department Engineer
- Responsible for checking calculations done by Engineers I and Engineers II
- Complies with Austal’s employee handbook general guidelines, company
procedures and policies.
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
• General Required:
o Minimum Seven (7) years’ of shipyard design and construction experience or equivalent experience.
- Five (5) years’ Engineering experience at Austal USA will be considered in lieu of shipyard design and construction experience
o Excellent written and oral communication skills
o Understanding of scheduling and an ability to adhere to strict deadlines
o Experienced in interacting with Production, multiple design teams from several companies, customer representatives and equipment manufacturers.
o Computer literate and familiar with AutoCAD and Microsoft Office products.
o Thorough knowledge of ship and propulsion systems
o Strong working knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, NAVSEA, MIL, USCG, IMO, etc.)
- Experience in the construction of high speed aluminum vessels
- Knowledge of modular construction methods
- Knowledge in design and construction of US Navy vessels
- Knowledge of shock design
- Knowledge of FEA methods
- Knowledge of composite shafting
- Controls Engineer:
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related degree (at time of hire)
- Configuration, programming, installation, and test experience with PLCs and SCADAs.
- Detailed knowledge of Automation and IT networks.
- Experience with the Windows Server environment.
- Configuration and commissioning experience with sensors, switches, valve actuators, variable speed drives, and other field devices.
- Design, installation and troubleshooting experience with communication protocols including Profibus, Modbus RTU/TCP, and Serial ASCII.
- Ability to work in the field environment domestically and internationally.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and experience.
- Working knowledge of power distribution systems
- Working knowledge of IEEE.
- Specific knowledge related to the following:
- Siemens PCS7 or other integrated automation platform
- Siemens SIMATIC variable speed drives
- Windows Server Domain management including DNS, Active Directory, and Group Policy
- Although mentioned above (General section), the following are preferred but not required:
- Working knowledge of ship and propulsion systems
- Working knowledge of Maritime Regulatory Authorities (i.e. ABS, DNV, GL, NAVSEA, MIL, USCG, IMO, etc.)
All candidates must meet Austal USA’s basic employment eligibility guidelines:
- Must be able to obtain and hold a Secret Security Clearance.
- 18 years or older at time of application
- Able to provide proof of US Person status (permanent resident or citizen)
- No felony convictions of theft/deception or violent crimes within seven years from disposition date
- No felony convictions of drug crimes within three years from disposition date
- Willing to submit to a drug screen
- Willing to submit to a background check
• Computer – MS Office, AutoCAD
• Will lead and direct the work of Engineers I, II, Designers and Draftspersons
• Will determine technical adequacy of drawings and calculations
• Will provide input to evaluations of Engineers I, II, Designers and Draftspersons
• Has authority to direct, evaluate and correct the work of Engineers I, II, Designers and Draftspersons
LIAISES WITH: Engineers, Production Personnel, Customer, Regulatory Bodies, Program Management and Equipment Suppliers
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to humid conditions, bright flashing lights, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles at or below the PEL, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud, + 90 dB.
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.
As a global shipbuilder and prime defense contractor, Austal offers opportunities for individuals to contribute to the development and sustainment of some of the world’s most advanced commercial and defense ships.
With major ship building facilities located in Australia, the United States of America and the Philippines - and ship sustainment and client service centres in Oman and Australia – Austal has an extensive network of operations with employment opportunities in maritime engineering, design, construction, technical services and sustainment, sales and marketing and administration.
Over 5,500 Austal employees, worldwide, benefit from a corporate culture that supports a safe, modern and secure working environment, flexible working conditions, training and development opportunities, genuine career advancement opportunities and competitive salary packages - and the autonomy and responsibility to achieve individual, project and organization goals.
With our track record of success and an even brighter future, Austal is an excellent choice for anyone seeking a rewarding career in a dynamic, global industry.