Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
A Class Pipe Welder
Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal’s commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
TITLE: “A”Class Pipe Welder
APPROVED BY: AJ Wolfe
Supervisor –“A” Class Pipe Welder reports to and takes direction from a Pipe Supervisor on a daily basis
Overall purpose of job: To work within a team of Pipe Fitters and welders to achieve maximum production in minimum time, standards and quality in keeping with company policies, while maintaining a positive and motivated team environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability desired.
The individual must have working knowledge of procedures, strong mechanical aptitude and the ability to follow directions. The individual must possess experience in the trade and knowledge of ship terminology. The individual must demonstrate ability to interpret job specifications and perform work on marine vessels.
Must be able to follow directions and work with limited supervision. Also, must be willing to develop other team members’ skill level.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS, DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Read and interpret basic drawings and weld symbols.
- Pass weld test for all Austal USA weld procedures in the 6GR position
- Pass Austal USA TIG weld test procedure for aluminum pipe
- Ability to work to Austal Tig Welding standards
- Work to Austal housekeeping procedure
- Inspection of work, identification of potential problems, initiation of corrective actions.
- Increase awareness of Quality procedures within department
- Perform as a productive working team member that meets daily goals set by the supervisor.
- Continuously improve communications and flexibility within the team.
- Help build the team environment.
- Build pride of workmanship and quality through on job training.
- Contribute towards innovation / productivity improvements.
- Assist in the control of waste elimination, e.g. materials, consumables etc.
- Assist supervisor to maintain control of department equipment and its maintenance.
- Must have full set of personal tools
- Work towards the team goal of delivering the vessel on time.
- Always be ready to start shift on time
- Follow Austal guidelines and procedures
- Do not leave job early or return late from break times
- Ensure work area is left clean, all equipment and tools are stowed away safely and protected against damage
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- 1 year minimum work experience as a B-class pipe welder at Austal or 2 years experience in similar role at comparative employer.
- Ability to pass “A Class” skills validation test to demonstrate welding ability for restricted open root welds
- Ability to successfully complete onboarding procedures in preparation to pass 6GR weld qualification test requirements for copper nickel and stainless steel to meet contract requirements for A Class welding on the vessel
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and measure using the metric system.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems that may arise in certain situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
- Perform prolonged standing.
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs on an occasional basis.
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
- Ability to work at heights above 12’ while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
- Ability to enter 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time within OSHA guidelines.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters whole performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud. PPE available and MUST be used correctly.
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks.
As a global shipbuilder and prime defense contractor, Austal offers opportunities for individuals to contribute to the development and sustainment of some of the world’s most advanced commercial and defense ships.
With major ship building facilities located in Australia, the United States of America and the Philippines - and ship sustainment and client service centres in Oman and Australia – Austal has an extensive network of operations with employment opportunities in maritime engineering, design, construction, technical services and sustainment, sales and marketing and administration.
Over 5,500 Austal employees, worldwide, benefit from a corporate culture that supports a safe, modern and secure working environment, flexible working conditions, training and development opportunities, genuine career advancement opportunities and competitive salary packages - and the autonomy and responsibility to achieve individual, project and organization goals.
With our track record of success and an even brighter future, Austal is an excellent choice for anyone seeking a rewarding career in a dynamic, global industry.