Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Composite Manufacturing Technician 2
at Aerojet Rocketdyne
- Job ID
- Manufacturing and Production - Composite Technician
Aerojet Rocketdyne is a world-recognized aerospace and defense leader that provides propulsion and energetics to the space, missile defense, strategic systems, tactical systems and armaments areas, in support of domestic and international markets.
We are seeking an experienced Composite Manufacturing Technician to work at our state-of-the-art Advanced Manufacturing Facility (AMF) in Huntsville, AL, which will be our inert manufacturing facility for fabrication and assembly of composite rocket motor hardware. Work schedule will be driven by unit operation requirements.
This position may be filled at the level posted or at the next higher level.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
Level 2 Composite Manufacturing Technicians works under general supervision with instructions given for new activities or special assignments. Resolves routine issues without supervisory guidance/approval. Typical tasks include but are not limited to:
85% - Composite manufacturing:
- Produce parts, components and final assemblies using composite fabrication, compression molding, metal fabrication, modification, checkout, re-work, quality testing, and assembly utilizing detailed work instructions, schematics, diagrams, layouts or manufacturing test development or diagnostic equipment.
- Prepare various components for lay-up, filament winding, cure and post cure using cured and uncured rubber materials and adhesives.
- Operation of various machinery and shop equipment which may include but not be limited to filament winders, ovens, autoclaves, manual lathes, CNC lathes, CNC milling centers, manual mills, boring mills, presses, furnaces, mixers, grinders, swages, paint booths, fume hoods and automated welding equipment.
- Fabrication and assembly of piece parts into completed sub-assembly using assembly tools.
- Perform vacuum bagging and related processes for fabrication and curing composite parts.
- Complete structural bonding operations using film adhesives, core materials, and adhesives.
- Building of complex layups individually and in small groups.
- Insulation of mandrels and composite cases.
- Filament winding composite structures.
- Cast, cure and machining of sand mandrels.
- Facilitate and conduct OJT training of technicians as required.
- Works with management and supervision to meet critical deadlines.
10% - Development work:
- Produce development hardware to support research and development programs.
- Troubleshoot processes and identify, modify and/or escalate out of control processes and production escapes.
5% - Support:
- Coordinate with maintenance, supervision and/or engineers in the set-up and calibration of equipment.
- Participate in preventative maintenance activities.
- Clean machines, equipment, and work area according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or equivalent preferred plus at least one year of related composite manufacturing technician and/or machinist experience required.
- Understanding of safety rules and regulations, Lean, Six Sigma, and continuous improvement concepts.
- Experience operating presses, filament winders, ovens, autoclaves or CNC lathes, required for composite manufacturing technicians. With the guidance from supervision, must be able to make precise adjustments in moving the controls of the machine/equipment to exact position such as offsets and axis movement. Experience with manual lathes, mills, furnaces, mixers, grinders, swages, paint booths and automated welding equipment desired.
- Ability to read and interpret product drawings, work instructions, shop orders, handling instructions, packing sheets and department procedures, understand and follow oral and written instructions; read, interpret and understand written or oral requirements, procedures and specifications to perform assigned tasks; as well as keep accurate and complete records, and prepare reports.
- Ability to effectively present information to supervision, maintenance, engineering or other employees of the organization.
- Work with management and supervision to prioritize work and meet critical deadlines, facilitate and conduct training on processes and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with the work team and those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to perform diversified but semi-repetitive operations following standardized methods and procedures under changing conditions.
- Ability to work with various plastic, rubber or synthetic insulating materials.
- Ability to weigh and mix ingredients for the manufacture of various products.
- Ability perform troubleshooting of the Company’s product lines, provide rapid support while following proper housekeeping and safety procedures, and repair or make recommendations to solve equipment issues.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations accurately and quickly, apply general rules to specific problems to come up with logical answers, and use and operate various computer systems and applicable software.
- Work schedule will be driven by unit operation requirements. Composite Technicians in these roles may be assigned to work alternative work schedules such as 9/80, 4/10, 3/12, 5/8, etc.
US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level. Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees may need to successfully pass a health check-up, as a standard practice when moving to a different facility as required by Occupational Health and Safety. The work environment may require a combination of indoor and outdoor activity (hot, cold, wet, humid conditions) with a varied amount of walking, standing, sitting, climbing (i.e. ladders, stair, scaffolding, ramps), balance (maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, or crouching on narrow, slippery, or erratically moving surfaces), bending, reaching, handling/fingering (seizing, holding, grasping, turning picking, pinching), stooping, kneeling, crouching and ability to lift/carry/push/pull up to 50 pounds. Work may require the ability to operate material handling equipment (forklift, crane, hoist, man lift, etc.) in a safe manner. While performing the duties of this job, employees may work around variable noise levels or with fume or airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, etc. requiring the use of personal protective equipment such as face protection (safety glasses, goggles, face shield), foot protection (i.e. steel toed shoes, rubber boots, etc.), gloves, hard hat, shop coat and hearing protection. Some positions may require Respirator clearance up to and including the Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Level A clearance. Work requires the ability to change into or out of personal protective equipment when entering or exiting manufacturing, laboratory, or other areas. Some employees may be required to drive between various locations within the Company facility or between locations. Work duties may also be required to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer and/or the ability to travel by air or auto. Ability to distinguish colors may also be necessary. This position may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization. Some positions entail working with small parts/components. Employees must have excellent hand-eye coordination and good manual dexterity in both hands.